Thursday, September 4, 2008

The traffic version of the Tortoise and the Hare

Do you ever have those little moments while driving that make you smile? Like when the Traffic Karma comes back to get someone?? It happened to me this week.

I’m fairly lucky, I suppose, in that while I drive 27 miles each way to/from work, that I don’t hit a lot of rush hour traffic, particularly in the morning and that I can go pretty much the speed limit or more the majority of the way. Well, the other morning, I was in the fast lane and glanced in my rearview mirror and saw someone rather close, riding my arse. I looked down at my speedometer and noted I was going 80. (luckily the person behind me wasn’t a cop ;) Anyway, this person darted 3 lanes over and cut 2 people off to come back and get in front of me. Ok, ok, sorry I didn’t see you earlier and move, but really, I’m going 80 in a 65-I think that’s fast-lane worthy, don’t you?

Well, this person weaved in and out in and out but never really got that far ahead of me. Well, at one point, I was ahead of them again. I laughed outloud while I passed them.

The tortoise and the hare analogy isn't quite accurate, because of the speeding involved, but I stayed my course and ended up ahead, but it made me smile nontheless. It’s the little things, I tell ya.

2 comments:

LucyinStLou said...

What is up with people who do that? Honestly how much time are they saving? It's really scary behavior to go in and out of traffic, and increase the odds of an accident, just to move 2-3 car lengths ups. Oh and don't feel like you have to wait for me to post on a topic. Seriously. No more calling dibs from me.

WineLush said...

I mean, if you're on the highway on a trip and some idiot is in front of you going slow and has 100 miles of open road in front of them, then by all means, go around. But in rush hour, the bottom line is that your speed is regulated by the traffic around you, not just one car. I wonder if he thought he saved time or not....