Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Hold the grass, Sauvignon Blanc

Its probably no secret that I'm not a Sauvignon Blanc fan. I don't hate all sauv blancs, just mostly dislike AU & NZ, and don't care much for CA and find White Bordeaux (blend of Sauv Blanc and Semmilion) to be the most tolerable. That being said, I don't voluntarily purchase them. However, we do occasionally get some in our wine clubs. One of which was Niner, from California. Over the weekend, I had the pleasure of being with Sauv blanc fans and so I brought it, in hopes it would be well liked and enjoyed by all, or at least most, minus me.

Here's the skinny on the wine:
Grown in conditions similar to those in Bordeaux, France, the Niner Wine Estates 2006 Sauvignon Blanc was produced from the leading Paso Robles vineyard Bootjack Ranch. Planted mostly to red varietals, a small portion of the Bootjack Ranch property is planted to Sauvignon Blanc, as is typical in France since the grape thrives in the same conditions. Cool nights and warm days contribute to a long growing season, ultimately yielding grapes of deep color and concentrated flavors. This award-winning vintage received a Gold Medal from the Central Coast Wine Competition, a Silver Medal from the Pacific Rim International Wine Competition, as well as a Silver Medal from the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition. Fresh and rich in texture and flavor, the 2006 Sauvignon Blanc is aromatically lively with aromas and flavors of pear, grapefruit, and pineapple that are juxtaposed by persimmon, lemon meringue and buttery nuances. It is refreshing, with a good mouthfeel, full body and a nice acid balance. The soft citrus candy finish lingers on the palate. Winery food pairing recommendations include cheese tortellini with pesto and toasted pine nuts, grilled swordfish with olive tapenade, and pizza with spinach, bacon, and caramelized onions. 100% Sauvignon Blanc. Enjoy now until 2010.

Back to the tasting....By itself, I thought it was fine. It wasn't grassy at all, and the citrus was fairly minimal. I had hopes reading the description (buttery nuances) that I might actually like it. Then we had it with some bacon wrapped dates and then some salad with figs, goat cheese and a mustard vinagrette. It was really good with both, but it was best with the salad. It moved to one of my favorite Sauvignon Blancs. Mind you, its a short list, but the acidity was just enough to cut through the fat/oil, but not so much I felt like I was drinking lemon grass. I like wines I can drink with or without food. I'm not sure if I would purchase it again, but I would certainly recommend it for someone who tends to dislike the grassy Sauv Blanc style.

1 comment:

LucyinStLou said...

I thought it was perfect with the food! Good choice!