Friday, October 3, 2008

First blind taste test-failed

Well, the first blind taste test has been conducted…..and I failed.

First, lets set the tone. I had a hellauva week. I had presentations, lit reviews, regularly scheduled readings, as well as having to grade 160, yes, 160 tests. (I’m a teaching assistant as well) Well, I come home from dropping off said exams and I come home to a cleaned kitchen, the table set, the smell of grilled meat. The wonderful Mr. Lush has done of that and prepared some wonderful filet mignons and grilled veggies as well as remembered it October….the first of October’s Blind Ambition Tour.

(side note…anyone get that reference?? Anyone??)

Ok, back to the topic at hand. In the glass is a lovely red wine. Now, I am no Lucy, I do not have our 59 different bottles of wine memorized, nor their location, so I don’t know what it is off the bat by glancing at the wine fridge, although I have a vague idea of at least the type of wine he’d select as well as the price range he’d pick for the occasion.

We sit down, I swish, smell. Hmm. Smells nice. Tastes wonderful. I guess merlot. I’m wrong. It’s a 2004 Honig Cabernet Sauvignon. I suck. Of course, after sipping a few drinks, swishing, etc, I taste chocolate and cherry and think “why didn’t I know this was cab? Its totally cab-ish”.

Alas. Hindsight is 20/20. (I’m sure I’ll end nearly every post with that.) I’ll try to post most of my failures as well as my successes, however few they may be. I apologize ahead of time, wine gods, for my ignorance, and hope that I grow from this.

0 fer 1. More to come.

2 comments:

LucyinStLou said...

I did get the reference, but since Madonna's Blonde Ambition tour was a play on the term "blind ambition", i.e. one who will do anything to get ahead, I wasn't sure if you were referring to Madonna or the original term co-opted by Madonna with no actual intent of hitting the Madonna reference. Wow, that was kind of an academic-y answer.

Was the Cab decanted? If not, I usually get Merlot and undecanted cab mixed up. I blame my love of Bordeaux. I sometimes have a hard time sorting the two out.

WineLush said...

I was referring to the Madonna term w/the "tour" reference.

The cab was not decanted, and as it opened up I swore I should've known, but like I said, perhaps it was just hindsight talking.

Awww, you're sweet for saying you sometimes get them confused as well. Thanks.