Friday, September 11, 2009

Flavored beer? Why yes, I will have one!

Last weekend I picked up a 12 pack Brewmaster’s sampler of Sam Adams, which included Sam Adams Light, Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, and Blackberry Witbier. Mr. Lush’s beers of choice are Guinness and Shalafly Pale Ale (local brewing company) but he also likes Sam Adams, so I thought he might like to try the Pale Ale and I was moderately curious about the Blackberry Witbier, although I’ve never liked fruity beers and find the fruit overpowering, I figured Sam Adams might make one I liked.

Well, it was a good choice… the blackberry is barely there. Now, a Witbier / Weissbier (which is my preferred beer style of choice - typically brewed in Belgium) is a bit more fruity than bitter anyway, with hints of orange, clove, coriander, and sometimes just a whisper of banana. (I wouldn't call Witbier a fruit beer…its not just bitter…) But the blackberry gives this beer just a smidge of fruit, just enough to keep it tasting like beer because of the full body of the beer, but not overpower it. I have now found the only flavored beer I like. (true, I can’t drink more than 1 or 2 without being fruit-beer’d out, but those 1 or 2 are really good)

The Hefe is also good, although not quite “witbier”. (note for Pale Ale lovers – Mr. Lush liked the Pale Ale, but still prefers the Shalafly….sorry Jim Koch)

1 comment:

Claire Uncorked said...

That blackberry beer sounds good! We like the Schlafly Raspberry Hefeweizen a lot, as well as Leinenkuegel's Berryweiss. O'Fallon's Wheach is good, too!