Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Homemade mulling spices for mulled wine

Earlier this week, Lucy posted a recipe for mulled wine, courtesy of another friend, Mrs. P. However, I didn’t want to buy mulling spices because they are rather expensive, so I made my own mulling spice bags. I bought some cheesecloth and made little baggies with white string. (note: you might have to double or triple your cheesecloth) Each baggie contains:

2 cinnamon sticks
1 small whole nutmeg
1 tsp. whole cloves
Long orange peel, twisted

Use this bag in place of the 2 tbs Mulling Spice in the recipe Lucy posted and viola! You will lovely aromatic mulled wine. I agree with Lucy and that an American red Zinfandel is just fantastic.

I’ve also seen variations that include star anise, allspice, and candied ginger, but I like the simple version better. You might have most of the items in my recipe already in your spice cabinet and if not, they are in most grocery stores.

These would also be a nice (inexpensive) home-made touch for holiday gifts. Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

LucyinStLou said...

Thanks for posting this!