Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Lets go run 135 miles in Death Valley....

I want to be a runner. I do. I’d love to be able to exercise any time, anywhere. I’d like to have one $500 piece of equipment that I can use at home versus a gym membership and have that be my one stop solution to weight control and a healthy heart. I am far from it, and in fact can't even run a mile. However, I just heard about this Badwater Ultra Marathon, which I will never, ever, ever, repeat EVER do, nor aspire to be able to do:

AdventureCORPS, an event production firm specializing in ultra-endurance and extreme sports events, will host the 30th Kiehl's Badwater Ultramarathon on July 23-25, 2007. A true "challenge of the champions," this legendary foot race pits approximately up to 90 of the world’s toughest athletes–runners, triathletes, adventure racers, and mountaineers–against one another and the elements. Covering 135 miles non-stop from Death Valley to Mt. Whitney, CA in temperatures up to 130F, it is the most demanding and extreme running race offered anywhere on the planet. http://www.badwater.com/index.html

There are people who did not finish and in fact, as of noon on July 25th, many many people who are still running. The guy who won is from San Paulo Brazil- Valmir Nunes finished in 22 hours 51 minutes and 29 seconds. He’s 43. And just ran 135 miles, starting the race running an average of 7.91 mph then finished running 3.22 mph.
http://dbase.adventurecorps.com/individualTd.php?e=58

Holy mother of god what are those people thinking? 135 miles starting in Death Valley? Isn't it called Death Valley for a reason??

No comments: