Friday, July 20, 2007

Sometimes pretty/cute wine bottles have good wine

Ok, so 3 posts in one day might be overkill, but I certainly wanted to have a wine post in the first 5 posts.
I know that to those of us that drink wine often, most of the time the label/ artwork/bottle lets us know the quality of the wine-typically flashy labels=bad wine. Exception of course being wine with actual artist's works of art, such as Kenwood's Artist Series and Imagery wines. Both are excellent and actually the Artist Series is Kenwood's reserve cab-I've had two years, 1994 and 1999, both were great. Last night we had Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d'Abruzzo (2002 Riserva). The bottle has a little wine twig on it. Its like $17 bucks at Sams Club and is really a nice wine. It has a WineSpectatorRating of 87 and a description of

A tasty red, with currant, passion fruit and fig, with a hint of spicy vanilla. Medium-bodied, with fine, well-integrated tannins and a clean, chocolaty finish.

We had it with 5 cheese pizza with basil and tomatoes and it was a good pairing. Not too tannic to overpower the mild pizza but complemented it well.

Anyway, its a darn cute bottle and I'm glad my friends Cynthia and Doug bought it and I had it at there place or I, too, would've walked right past it because its cute and I've already found myself judging based on labels. Now its a semi-regular pick up for me when I'm at Sams Club. Thanks guys!!

No comments: