Friday, July 27, 2007

St. Supery Merlot- 2001

Last night we had a 2001 St. Supery Merlot.
Tasting notes: This merlot shows its vibrance and life through its inviting hues of reds and purples. Aromas are elegant with black cherry, blueberry, and subtle oak with a sprinkling of tobacco and anise. The palate is well structured with good width, yet is supple and elegant, offering flavors that linger through to the finish. 99% Merlot, 1% Cabernet

Hmm. Well, I don’t know if the oak is subtle. Its pretty oakey and chewy. Not so great before the steaks arrived, wonderful with the steaks. I get my steak nice and rare so it was a good pair. I can’t say it was the absolute best wine for that steak-I think it could have had some more berry since the sauce was fairly earthy- it was a bourbon morel butter sauce.
Anyway, I’d recommend it with a steak for the price and I think it retails for around $20. I read that the 2002 was better. I think the 2001 was the first year St. Suprey did the merlot so I guess it makes sense the next year was better.

No comments: